Sunday, August 04, 2013

Flying

So much has happened in just a couple weeks-I can't believe how fast the time is flying!  Sam starts school in 8 days!

Sam and I went to Indiana a couple weeks ago to help my folks with moving.  It was a nice visit, Sam got to play with her cousins and I was able to chat a little more with my sister-in-law.  My dad even gave Samantha a ride around the block in his sidecar on the Ural.  I got to visit with Aunt Vivian and we stopped by Gravel Lawn to pay our respects to those who are no longer with us.  On the way out, I was able to stop and eat lunch with my boss and her family and then on the way back, we met with Jennifer and a few of the team members. 

Last week we registered Sam for Kindergarten and did our school shopping.  I can't believe that one week from today we will be getting ready for school.  Despite some less than positive experiences calling the district office, I feel much more comfortable after talking to the staff at the school last week.  We have uniform outfits mostly purchased, but we still need to get some shoes and a sweater, maybe a few more polo shirts.

Tuesday after work I took Samantha up to the farmer's market since she said she wanted to get some fresh vegetables.  I gave her four $1 bills to let her make the decisions as to how she wanted to spend the money.  First she picked up some pearl onions, passing on the sweet corn at the same vendor.  Surprisingly, she picked up some kohlrabi at the booth next to our first stop.  Next, we saw some Klondike gold potatoes that she bought.  She did very well going up and handling the money, but she wasn't very confident when it came to other people who just walked around her to get service.  After the potato purchase, she has a dollar left and I dig to give her the $0.97 in change from my pocket.  We end up walking to the end with a large vendor of potatoes and tomatoes and baskets of green beans.  The beans were $4 for a basket, but Sam was able to make a deal and paid $1.97 for a half basket.  I was so proud of the way she handled herself and the math we did that day.  Sam decided we were going to make a soup with the produce (minus the kohlrabi).  The next day or so Keller grabbed some steak and made a fairly decent vegetable beef soup.  Sam was pretty pleased with herself, and so was I!


Wednesday of this week, my boss came out for my merit review.  I was pleasantly surprised by review and I am very happy she was able to make it to Waterloo.  A lunch at Newton's and Scratch cupcakes to go were a great break in the day!

Friday was difficult.  I won't go into what happened, but to say it was a hard day is an understatement.  One phone call can make it feel like your whole world is crashing down.  Thankfully, I am blessed with a strong family and a faith, as well as friends and co-workers who will help us get through this. 

Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.  Romans 12:12


No comments:

Post a Comment